Week 1 of Distance learning

Well let’s be real about how distance learning is going.  We have had our ups and downs.  The first two days I thought it was easy, then reality set in.  I got notices from two teachers that two of my children were missing work.  So we had to do a take two and start over.  Apparently my 4th grader didn’t know what to do when she had a video she was suppose to watch wasn’t working.  I have told her I am here and willing to help whenever she needs it but her view is if her brothers don’t need help then she doesn’t either.  The video she was suppose to watch was exactly what she needed to be doing.

My oldest is in high school and has always been independent with his work.  He was sitting in the kitchen doing his homework but has moved back to his room where he has a desk and everything he needs.  He seems to be doing fine but he also took an online class last summer so I think that experience has helped him.

My middle child is in middle school and everyday he is on the phone with his classmate making sure they are getting everything done.  He was in the kitchen for the very first day and then went to the basement where his computer is so he can be on the phone and not bother anyone else.  After being contacted by his teacher he realized he wasn’t actually submitting the work.  He did the work but did not submit it the way he was suppose to.  Luckily the teachers have been great and she let it slide since this change is brand new.

The two oldest have been also having trouble with temptation of playing video games while on their computers.  My husband and I told them that if they needed a break from school work they could play for 30 mins but then needed to get back to work.  So far my son that is in middle school seems to be finished in the early afternoon.

Oh the other thing is we are not a morning family.  My husband has worked from home for the past 7 years and he starts work at 9 am.  So we decided at the beginning of all this that we would all get up then.  We were not sure if the kids school work would need to be done when the class time was or not so we just took a chance.  It turned out that the work just needed to be finished by the end of the day.  My daughter (4th grader) was doing work until late the first two days so we decided she would get up at 8am.

How have things been going with our 4th grader?  Well not easy.  As I said she didn’t want to ask for help in the beginning and when I thought she was doing work she was actually playing a video game.  Her brothers were so why couldn’t she?  This week is going better.  We have a white board that we put all her classes on and as she finishes them she puts a check next to them.  Then I go on her computer to make sure everything is turned in properly.  She also had been doing the work but not submitting it correctly.  She is sitting at our kitchen table using a laptop so I can check on her and keep her focused.

So all in all we are doing OK.  I am so grateful that I am a stay at home mom and I am able to be available to help them all.  I can’t imagine if both of us were working how things would go down.  I don’t know that my daughter would ever be done.  She really needs someone to keep her focused.  The other nice thing is after the first two days the school district sent a town wide survey to find out how things are going with everyone.  Since then they have let us know the major issues and what they were doing to fix those problems.

Hopefully, next week will be even smoother.  I wish the best of luck to all of us.


Copyright 2020 Sheila M Scarpulla.  All rights reserved.  No reproduction without written consent.


I am a mother of three children who is trying to fulfill all the ‘traditional’ ideas of a stay at home mom. I am a cook, maid, shopper, chauffeur and the laundry lady. I am also their protector, mentor, religious educator and guidance counselor. I have chosen to raise them in a Catholic household.

Leave a Reply